Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Good Day To Tie

Tying one on.     
When I have nothing better to do (and even times when I do have something better to do) I settle in and get to work tying some flies. I find it to be very satisfying, and I really feel like I've accomplished something after a good day of tying.  It's funny; no matter how much I tie, I still feel like I need to do more. I mean, even if I tie a hundred flies and feel like I have a good start, in my mind it's really never enough.  I know that I get better with each tie, and I think it's really starting to show. Every fly I tie, I always try to improve upon it somehow and think of changes I can make to the pattern to make it more realistic.  Something else I have noticed over the years is that you can tie the same fly the same way (or at least you think the same way) but you always seem to have one that does the best; one that catches fish like crazy, whether it be because of the way it floats or the way the materials lay on the hook.  I used to buy my supplies at the superstores because it was convenient, but I have learned over the years that you do much better buying quality supplies online or in respectable fly shops. The durability is the difference that I have noticed the most.
       
   
When I sit down to tie I like to put on some good music, have a good cup of coffee or beer (usually beer), and make sure I am good and comfortable, because I know I'm going to be there for a few hours.  I tied quite a few flies today and yesterday. I am trying to restock my steelhead flies and get my trout boxes back in order for the upcoming season. My dry fly box is pretty well picked clean after last year. It seems I am always behind and always should be sitting at my bench tying more. If you have a good day you burn through some flies.  Yesterday was dedicated to tying dries and today mostly nymphs. I try to break up the monotony by changing it up. If I get bored tying one pattern, then I throw a few different flies into the mix just to switch it up a bit.  I also try to save time by having materials ready so I am not looking for stuff or preparing as I go. I also find that this improves my quality because I can get into a rhythm and just run with it. 
   
The past two days were dedicated to old faithfuls, the flies I use the most. Some of them work everywhere, and some of them seem to do best on certain streams.  The green Copper John was pretty productive this year on the Potomac and also the early steelhead. Pheasant Tails you just can't have enough of in this area. I tie Pheasant Tails in many different patterns: legs, no legs, traditional and flashback. I seem to do fairly well with those, especially the flashback fly. Sometimes I wonder if the fish can really tell the difference because I know that the ugliest flies sometimes do the best.  I still catch fish on some of the ugliest flies I have ever tied, mainly because I have used every other fly in the box and that's the last one left, so I treat it like gold.  I still have flies that I tied when I was a kid. Man are they bad, but everyone has to start somewhere. The best part is they still caught fish; otherwise, I probably would have given up by now.  I plan on tying some more this week. Not sure what patterns yet, but I will keep you posted.  
   
            "Trying some creative ways to photo my ties"
                                                     "Copper John"
                                                       "Hard at work"
                                                        "Adams"
                                                        "Work Area"

No comments:

Post a Comment