Friday, January 17, 2014

Many Hooked, Eight Landed Today At Sterretania (And a Snowstorm)

     After a long drive to the Elk and some wondering about how the weather was going to turn out, I arrived at Sterretania, Pa.  When I arrived, I was shocked to find that I was the only person there and that the weather man was very much wrong calling for a high of 31 degrees and a low of 17 degrees (which I am not complaining about at all).  I got there at 10:30 AM, and after some gearing up and a leader change, I was on the water.  I parked at the horse farm up from the bridge and set in there. The water was pretty good ... not perfect by any means, but a little off color and up just a bit.  The weather was great. 40 degrees and sunny, which I was a little nervous about due to the fact that I seem to have my best luck on days with some overcast.  I hooked quite a few fish and landed six in one hole that always seems to do well for me.  I worked my way upstream about a mile or so and landed two more on my way up.  Today was action packed.  As soon as I landed one, took a picture and let it go, I had another on the very next cast.  All fish were caught today on a Cream Sucker Spawn with one strip of orange sparkle braid down the middle or a Purple Copper John, both size #16.  My best times of the day were between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. It seemed like as soon the clouds rolled in and the sun came off the water the action stopped, which seems to be the case mostly during winter fishing. Mid-day is always the best.  I left Erie at about 3:30 pm and on the way home hit one hell of a snow storm around Neville Island. A three hour drive took me just over five hours since all the back roads were shut down.  I would think that Sunday should be good. There are a ton of fish in the river; the only thing is the sudden temperature change. I usually like to give the fish a day or two to adjust.  If any one else fished today or throughout this upcoming weekend, I would love to hear how you did as well.  Keep me posted!!!
                                      "Cream Sucker Spawn #16"


No comments:

Post a Comment